Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, February 27, 2012

Oscar Night!

Well okay, the Oscars were last night. But I actually watched them, even the red carpet preview. I don't normally watch any of the award shows because I honestly forget when they come on. So to be honest, this was an accidental stumbling while changing channels.

The red carpet was alright. I watched the one with Tim Gunn so I missed the Ryan Seacrest and Sacha Baron Cohen dust up.

Jonah Hill brought his mom, which was incredibly sweet

The strangest red carpet moment was the interview with Prince Albert of Monaco (his wife Charlene), Bob Iger (the CEO of Disney) and his wife. The interviewer talked to Albert about his mother, Grace Kelly and then  asked Bob Iger how he knew Prince Albert. I'm guessing she had nothing else to ask them. 

Bridesmaids was nominated but didn't win. I liked Kristin Wigg's hair color (over the blonde in the movie), Melissa McCarthy was pretty funny during her skit with Billy Crystal and her Martin Scorsese drinking game with Rose Byrne made me crack up. 





Tina Fey and Michelle Williams wore a style of dress that baffles me. It's some mix of the 80s (with that skirt) and 50s (again...the skirted section. Tina Fey looked okay in it but I just couldn't love Michelle Williams version. 


Here's some other people there
Glenn Close
Jason Segel
 










Jennifer Lopez's dress is hard to capture in pictures. It looked much, much better in motion than it did when she stood still. I think it has everything to do with the fabric and the lines (and the way they hugged her body). And while Gwen actually wore a cape (and wore it well) on the red carpet, I hated her hair style. 





Harry Potter (the last film) didn't win in any of the three categories it was nominated in. I actually found it surprising that none of the movies have ever won considering all the innovations and character makeup or visual effects (trolls, goblins, witches/wizards, house elves, dragons...). Granted it was up against Hugo and that was an impressive movie.


The Artist won awards for best original score, best director, best actor and best picture. They said on TV that it was the first silent film nominated since 1928. And at the end, they even brought the puppy (Uggie) on stage. I'm super behind on movies and I haven't seen The Artist yet but I thought they gave lovely acceptance speeches (I could be biased because I do love a french accent). The (American) news mentioned this morning that Jean Dujardin dropped the F-bomb during his acceptance speech for best actor. My french is a bit rusty but I didn't hear that, I did hear him mention Polanski (eh) and cinnamon rolls (I don't blame him, they're delicious). 




Octavia Spencer won best supporting actress for The Help and Christopher Plummer won best supporting actor for Beginners. While Meryl Streep won best actress for The Iron Lady


Plummer


Streep

Spencer




Separation won for best foreign language film and the director, Asghar Farhadi, gave a very moving speech celebrating Iranian culture through the ages and noting that there has been some harsh and nasty words spoken  that are overshadowing Iranian culture. 

Robert Downy Jr and Gwyneth Paltrow did a cute skit in which Downy was  pretending to  film a live documentary. Paltrow quipped that a live documentary was called "the news". They then gave an award for best documentary to Undefeated. Emma Stone (with a foil performance by Ben Slitter) was adorable and hysterical. 



Best Live action short (The Shore) and best documentary short (Saving Face) look like wonderful movies actually. And the speeches given about Pakistan and Northern Irish violence were heartfelt. 

My absolute favorite part was Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis's skit. They walked in from the audience banging cymbals (and I think smashed them in front of Brad Pitt). It took me a hot second to recognize Esperanza Spalding; she sang a lovely version of "What a wonderful world" with a children's choir from California. 

Well, it's been  a super wordy post (sorry!). I'll link this last thing I found, which was a list of interesting Oscar/Acadamy Award facts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...